[development] Module developers, please do *proper* releases !

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Feb 18 14:39:37 UTC 2008

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it>:

> I think it is in the right of drupal infrastructure team to impose
> minimum requirement so that your module is hosted and advertised on
> drupal infrastructure and associated with drupal project.

Nope.  Drupal and therefore its contributed modules uses the GPL
license which guarantees that I can do what ever with it including
hosting it else where.

> drupal project is free to impose or not impose any rule.

Not if the rule violates the license.

> They do... and you'll have less developed modules.
> They don't... and the the quality of modules will be lower.
> All this reflects on the image and technical merits of drupal project
> as a whole.

Maybe.  Or perhaps it would less favorless on the project if Drupal
decided not to host contributed modules at all.  There is a learning
curve and there are suggested procedures with the contributed module
conventions.  Enforcing them is a community effort and if you find a
module that doesn't align with the suggested procedures you can open an
issue with the project.

> It doesn't look scandalous.

Yes it does because what you propose violates the license.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/