[development] Module developers, please do *proper* releases !

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 14:49:20 UTC 2008

I'm sure that a developer with a module ready will not back away once he
sees you require him to simply use a proper release rather than a dev
release. I mean to think this would make the entry level higher seems a
little of an over statement.

Why does naming your releases suddenly make it a commitment to users or
anything major and against open source? It's ready when it's ready, and it's
ready when it's released. Try to line up some clear arguments against
enforcing proper releases. Garbage code can be in a dev or in a release, at
least garbage in a release can tell us which release to avoid.

Enforcing releases is neither cruel to developers, doesn't hurt the open
source spirit, doesn't dictate any new requirements on developers as even
current releases have no restrictions whatsoever.

What do releases do? They make update module work better, they make user's
lives easier cause they don't have to wonder which "dev" release they're
using without going to check on file dates and so forth, they make things
less chaotic. Releases don't mean a developer is guaranteeing anything or
losing any flexibility. I see nothing bad in enforcing them at all.

--
Ashraf Amayreh
http://blogs.aamayreh.org