[development] Module developers, please do *proper* releases !

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Tue Feb 19 01:09:52 UTC 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 10:37 PM, Victor Kane <victorkane at gmail.com> wrote:
> "It's ready when it is ready" is not some lackadaisical  excuse to be lazy.
> It means that the new features are brought in precisely because the
> community is anxious to have them and therefore to provide the code and
> testing for it. Which is the equivalent to what you are saying about
> "scratch your own itch", which indeed is a concept at the heart of the Open
> Source business model.

My Open-Source consciousness just imploded on itself ;)  I hadn't
realized that inside of "it's ready when it is ready" was the
opportunity for someone to change the "ready" date by doing the work
themselves or supporting the person in making it happen.  I guess
(hope?) I wasn't alone in that lack of understanding given this
discussion.

> And I agree with Nancy about metrics and ratings... I don't think a lot of
> bureaucratic rules are going to help, or that more rules necessarily makes
> things better. It's quality, and that has historically come from an
> unfettered open source model (because a thousand eyes see more than a
> cathedral prism).

Yes, absolutely.  IMO one underlying problem is a lack of knowledge
about the quality of a tarball: "5.x-1.x-dev"  doesn't give any
indication about the quality of the module (but really, 5.x-1.0 only
gives a very small amount more).  Knowing some metrics about the
module would be really useful to help solve a variety of problems.

Saludos,
Greg

--
Greg Knaddison