[development] Making blocks from some setting in Drupal 7?

Moshe Weitzman weitzman at tejasa.com
Thu Feb 21 13:13:31 UTC 2008

>  On the quest to better format support in Drupal 7, I made a
>  spreadsheet of how certain texts are filtered in Drupal as of now:
>  http://groups.drupal.org/node/9072

quite an interesting table. at least none of them are unfiltered.

>   - site mission
>   - site footer
>   - user registration help
>   - contact page help

The first two work as blocks, but the help texts do not IMO. We have
hook_help(), and thats how those texts get added to the page. It would
ugly to combine hook_help() texts and help texts that are each stored
as blocks.

I think the right solution for the help texts is to integrate an
improved version of helptip module into core. That module provides a
GUI for hook_help(). Admins can fill out a form and put help text onto
any page that they desire. The storage of these texts can be done in
several ways (i believe that helptip uses nodes), but any way we do it
should also supprt an input format as Gabor suggests.

The variable system is apparently not designed for long variable
values (Dries asserts this at http://drupal.org/node/79008), so I
don't think we should be putting help texts and email templates there
anyway.