[development] Making blocks from some setting in Drupal 7?

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Thu Feb 21 13:37:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Moshe Weitzman <weitzman at tejasa.com> wrote:
> >  On the quest to better format support in Drupal 7, I made a
>  >  spreadsheet of how certain texts are filtered in Drupal as of now:
>  >  http://groups.drupal.org/node/9072
>
>  quite an interesting table. at least none of them are unfiltered.
>
>  >   - site mission
>  >   - site footer
>  >   - user registration help
>  >   - contact page help
>
>  The first two work as blocks, but the help texts do not IMO. We have
>  hook_help(), and thats how those texts get added to the page. It would
>  ugly to combine hook_help() texts and help texts that are each stored
>  as blocks.
>
>  I think the right solution for the help texts is to integrate an
>  improved version of helptip module into core. That module provides a
>  GUI for hook_help(). Admins can fill out a form and put help text onto
>  any page that they desire. The storage of these texts can be done in
>  several ways (i believe that helptip uses nodes), but any way we do it
>  should also supprt an input format as Gabor suggests.

Hm, so what do blocks do? They allow you to put some content into any
selected region and limit to certain pages.
What does helptip allow you to do? To put some text into one fixed
region (the help region), and limit to certain pages.
By making the help region a real theme region, you instantly get all
of help tip into core, right?
Then the system module can expose a "built-in help block" which would
contain output of the help hook, and position it into the help region.

Gabor