[development] Making blocks from some setting in Drupal 7?

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Thu Feb 21 19:20:54 UTC 2008

Gábor Hojtsy wrote:
> What do you think?

My one concern here is that because the block system is push, not pull,
all blocks in all regions are always generated, regardless of whether
the page needs them. That means we run the risk of degrading performance
by generating a whole bunch of material that we have no intention of
displaying, unless we have some way for the theme to signal which
regions it wishes to generate on any given template. And that's a tough
thing to do in the current system.

This is one of the reasons I like the panels approach, but that's still
pretty far from being able to fully emulate the block system.