[development] A Git mirror for Drupal CVS

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Thu Feb 21 22:26:22 UTC 2008

Hi,

Mikkel Høgh wrote:
> Hi Gordon,
>
> I have enabled "blame".
> I'm glad to see that Git is catching on around the Drupal community. I
> hope some day to be able to look back at CVS as only a bad memory ;)

Yes that would be nice, but if something like git were to be adopted
then we would still offer CVS as a entry level so people can easily
commit stuff with having the ease of learning git.

> And yeah, it is big. It took hours to import it with git cvsimport, but
> amazingly, the whole repository only takes up 15MB, which is really
> impressive to me, since it includes the entire CVS repository will
> themes, images and code with a lot of changes these 8 years. That's like
> 2MB per year.

That is so cool, I need to check this out more.

> I'm afraid that we won't be so lucky with the contributions repository,
> but if we ever were to switch to Git or something like it, it would be
> madness to continue to have all 1000+ modules in the same repository -
> it's maddening enough already ;)

Yes I have been thinking about this, and I think that we would need to
break each of the projects out into there own repositories, so they
would be easier to maintain, and divide up the permissions.

I really like git a lot, and I would be interested in collaborating on
this with you.

Gordon.