[development] Module developers, please do *proper* releases !

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Mon Feb 25 15:24:43 UTC 2008

On Saturday, 23. February 2008, Karoly Negyesi wrote:
> Not for the first this raises the question of who are "end users" here. I
> would like to believe that we try not to cater to everyone who can download
> firefox from Mozilla's pages. Can we expect some knowledge of what they are
> doing? Our software *is* server software after all.

In this case, someone who has not yet built a Drupal site yet and is basing
his/her judgement on whether a module description exactly fits the intended
usage. Or someone like my brother who can perfectly assemble and copy stuff
for his small community site but doesn't have the expertise, intention or
even time to immerse himself with the community and its procedures.

Even though Drupal is server software, a server is something that can be
bought for a few euros (or $YOUR_CURRENCY) at your favorite shared host, and
server software is deployed as easily as to copy some files over FTP. The
easier it is to get it running, the more amateur users you'll get.

Let's just go back to the days before .install files, and we can rely on
Drupal only being used by users who know what they're doing ;)