[development] Best practices: Config settings

Ken Rickard agentrickard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 00:03:26 UTC 2008

>> In principle, I think that the variable should be set at
>> admin/settings/performance but who is going to look there again after
>> each newly installed module?

killes and I were discussing this in IRC, and I took the view that
contributed modules should try not to modify core settings pages.

But I can see both sides.  In the case of extending a theme, for example,
you want to add to the theme configuration page.  But I typically never look
twice at the 'performance' settings page.

So I'm not sure that my original stance of "contributed modules should never
add settings to core screens" is correct.

The best case may be: make sure you document that you add settings to
default screens.

Has this ever been debated? Documented as best practice?

- Ken Rickard
agentrickard