[development] Getting both better internal and external APIs intoDrupal 7

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Wed Jan 2 16:02:17 UTC 2008

On Jan 2, 2008, at 7:51 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Profile: Meta data that describes different objects within Drupal.
> 1) User profile - Meta data about a user such as birth date, email
> address, etc.
> 2) Package profile - Meta data describing the default look and feel
> of a Drupal installation such as a blog profile, forum profile, etc.

Just to sound off from a usability standpoint, using "profile" for
installation packages is rather confusing. Liza's point that
"profile" already has legacy meaning within Drupal only emphasizes
the point, imho. My own personal interpretation of profile in the web
world is that of a user profile -- and given that one "web 3.0" trend
is to connect all these different profiles we have everywhere, using
the word "profile" to describe what really is a bundled distribution
or installation package just invites more confusion.

Laura

Laura Scott
pingVision, LLC
303.415.2559