[development] Getting both better internal and external APIs intoDrupal 7

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 2 19:58:21 UTC 2008

Quoting Victor Kane <victorkane at gmail.com>:

> Just want to put to the attention and consideration of all the following.
>
> I am someone looking for a CMS.
>
> I go to the joomla page.
>
> http://www.joomla.org/
>
> I click on the extensions primary menu option.
>
> http://extensions.joomla.org/
>
> I don't need to spend a jolt-cola sip in order to know what "module" means
> or to know what "profile... meta..." means.
>
> I see "extensions".
>
> Some of them are "core enhancements", some of them are "admin tools", some
> of them are "e-Commerce", and, hey, ... some of them are "vertical markets"
> (auto & vehicles, education...).

Well, we do have a start [1] at something similar.  It does need to be
more finely grained, the taxonomy needs work to give real meaning to
the likes of "Content display (319)" for example.

> ok!
>
> Now if I were a developer, I would go to the developer primary menu option
> and take a look at stuff like the Framework Overview, and Framework API,
> where I learn with interest that ... ooh, a nice little diagram that shows
> me Components, modules, templates, on one tier, and the application tier and
> the framework tier, and since I am a developer I ... care.

And we have [2] for the developer.

[1] http://drupal.org/project/Modules
[2] http://drupal.org/handbooks

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/