[development] Getting both better internal and external APIs intoDrupal 7

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 2 20:34:42 UTC 2008

Quoting "blogdiva at culturekitchen.com" <blogdiva at culturekitchen.com>:

> Earnie,
>
> This has nothing to do with proper grammar. This has all to do with
> the fact that PROFILE has a legacy in Drupal that points to tools for
>  managing PEOPLE'S PERSONAL INFORMATION.

I understand the misfortune of a module named profile is the point of
this thread.  That module is relative only to user information.  In
order to make it clear to everyone looking at Drupal it needs renamed
to User Profile because the word profile is too vague and has many
connotations to properly denote the meaning of the module.

> When I search for more information on PROFILE at Drupal, I get 99% of
>  discussions about how to deal with people's personal information and
>  then this completely random "PROFILES", which is just about special
> installations, aka distributions.

The word profile used in the context of packaging information really
makes sense.

> It's confusing and, quite frankly it looks like sloppy road mapping
> of the product.

Not when the proper context is given for the word.  The product can
take on different profiles merely by changing a default value, theme,
or module setting.  I do not disagree that within Drupal the use of the
word profile is confusing.  But only because the context for profile
isn't given for one module named profile.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/