[development] Think there's a security problem in your module? Here's what to do.

DragonWize dragonwize at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 21:36:01 UTC 2008

Thank you Derek for your explanations. You have said a lot but let me
focus on the area where I think we are diverging. I agree with most of
what you are doing and understand you explanations. I just don't fully
agree with some of them.

Lets say for the sake of understanding that everything you say is 100%
correct. Lets assume to be on the safe side that every hacker reads
every line of code that comes through the cvs log. That hacker will
know long before a fix is committed because he will know when the hole
was committed. So not committing the fix does nothing to help this
doomsday scenario. This is the part that I don't understand.

Either way whether code is committed I don't see the benefit you
describe in the race to ensure sites are secure. The race is
definitely important, I do not deny that, I just don't understand how
your method helps that race. I see 3 possible out comes:

1. The hacker already knows when the SA is sent. No benefit gained.

2. The hacker doesn't know when the SA is sent but we have already
told him exactly where the hole is by saying we commit at the same
time. Yes they could find it extremely easily with out this but we
just made it slightly easier.

3. The hacker doesn't know when the SA is sent but we haven't made a
policy about when exactly the code is committed. Can they very easily
find it anyway? For sure they can, I don't deny that. I also am not
sugesting remove this step in your short simple guide because it
provides better security. I am saying that I don't see better in
security by including it so why make the process harder to understand
and remember if it doesn't provide a benefit.

Thank you for your time,
Alan

--
Alan Doucette