[development] Think there's a security problem in your module? Here's what to do.

Iñaki Lopez inaki.lopez at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 21:56:33 UTC 2008

I think the worry is not how much does the SA help the hackers, but
just how much the security team helps the drupal administrators.
right?

so..

> 1. The hacker already knows when the SA is sent. No benefit gained.

1.   The drupal administrator has a fixed version to download and
receives the SA.

> 2. The hacker doesn't know when the SA is sent but we have already
> told him exactly where the hole is by saying we commit at the same
> time. Yes they could find it extremely easily with out this but we
> just made it slightly easier.

2.   The drupal administrator has a fixed version to download and
receives the SA. Clock is ticking for both.

> 3. The hacker doesn't know when the SA is sent but we haven't made a
> policy about when exactly the code is committed. Can they very easily
> find it anyway? For sure they can, I don't deny that. I also am not
> sugesting remove this step in your short simple guide because it
> provides better security. I am saying that I don't see better in
> security by including it so why make the process harder to understand
> and remember if it doesn't provide a benefit.

3.   The drupal administrator has a fixed version to download and
receives the SA. Clock is ticking for both as in 2.

But I understand that the SA process only works if every drupal
administrator know about the security updates, releases and
advisories, and all contributors follow the guidelines..

> Thank you for your time,
> Alan

Note: I think the way you do Alan, but we should agree not every
module contributor would follow basic security steps (just a look to
some modules would clarify this), and the security team is trying to
do it's best to not let drupal administrators alone.