[development] Docs about Drupal + CVS: reminder and call for help

Alan Dixon alan.g.dixon at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 15:23:49 UTC 2008

Here's my experience, as a module developer who thought he knew CVS
and now uses an unnamed alternative.

1. I don't find the general 'About CVS' stuff helpful, maybe because I
think I understand it. For someone new to revision control systems,
all in all it's a steep learning curve (which is not necessarily a bad
thing). To be clear: I don't think you should remove it, it's just my
experience.

2. I do find the quickstart essential and reread it every time I have
to do anything in CVS with my module(s). Thanks to whoever
wrote/maintains this!

3. I didn't know about the update status page, thanks for pointing out that one.

4. I used to get lost, but now I see all the relevant pages nicely
organized in the handbook.

All in all, it's a brilliant, finely crafted, creative system, and I
congratulate dww and the rest of the folks who have created and
documented this infrastructure for collaboration.

To me, it feels somewhat baroque, or maybe medieval is the right word
- like I'm joining the Knights Templar with a secret handshake. I can
see that it may drive away potential contributors, and maybe that's a
good thing sometimes. My only off-the-cuff suggestion would be maybe
some kind of 'streaming' approach that encourages alternatives when
the going gets rough (hey it's okay if you can't figure it out, maybe
you should use joomla [joke]).

Next time I try to upgrade a module I'll keep better notes - I do
remember some funny CVS messages that I ended up ignoring and hope
weren't fatal. And maybe I'll write up a page called "Notes for people
who use <unnamed alternative>" about all the things that are different
about CVS that keep messing me up (am I going to get away with that?).

 - Alan

--
Alan Dixon, Web Developer
http://alan.g.dixon.googlepages.com/