[development] Docs about Drupal + CVS: reminder and call for help

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Jan 17 20:28:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:23:49 -0500
"Alan Dixon" <alan.g.dixon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's my experience, as a module developer who thought he knew CVS
> and now uses an unnamed alternative.
>
> 1. I don't find the general 'About CVS' stuff helpful, maybe
> because I think I understand it. For someone new to revision
> control systems, all in all it's a steep learning curve (which is
> not necessarily a bad thing). To be clear: I don't think you should
> remove it, it's just my experience.

I think previous exposure to any rcs should be a prerequisite to
anyone contributing to drupal code (core or contrib).

> 2. I do find the quickstart essential and reread it every time I
> have to do anything in CVS with my module(s). Thanks to whoever
> wrote/maintains this!

a quickstart is useful to know where stuff are and where they are
placed or to do the initial co.
In case someone doesn't know cvs but you know any other rcs and you'd
like to have something to test on quickly, without learning how to
build up its own cvs repo.

But I'd hide all the details so that the overall process is clearer.
What I mean is that every dev should already know what a rcs is but
not every developer may know how things are reviewed etc... in drupal
and what are the characteristic tools drupal dev community has.

> Next time I try to upgrade a module I'll keep better notes - I do
> remember some funny CVS messages that I ended up ignoring and hope
> weren't fatal. And maybe I'll write up a page called "Notes for
> people who use <unnamed alternative>" about all the things that are
> different about CVS that keep messing me up (am I going to get away
> with that?).

As I wrote in previous post I'd be very interested in any experience
about building up a dev environment to follow core dev and that as
a bonus may work nicely with <unnamed alternative>.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it