[development] how to upgrade from 5.x to 6.x

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Fri Jan 18 14:24:02 UTC 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 2:32 PM, Greg Knaddison <greg at pingvox.com> wrote:
> In our handbook[1] we tell people that before the upgrade they should
>
> "Turn off (but do not uninstall) all modules that are not core modules"
>
> Does anyone have a concrete, repeatable, simple example of why doing
> it my way is worse than the way in the handbook?  I think this might
> be a relic of the update process of years gone by that we can now
> forget, which would be nice since I think it simplifies the process.

I think this is stated so that update errors are easier and quicker to
spot. The core upgrade is expected to be much more tested compared to
contrib upgrade paths. But it might not work out. And then if it does,
AFAIR, people are told to update modules one by one, to be able to act
on errors which come up. Doing your way, seeing a long update list run
by with some stuff broken means you need to resort to the suggested
method anyway.

Personally, I use your way by the way, and I also do crazy version
hopping, but I always run through the upgrade lots of times, solving
data consistency issues, hammering the upgrade path of my own modules
and such on the way, to get to an error-less upgrade at the end. My
way is not something I would suggest to people, as they are nervous
enough with one upgrade pass, not to say running it 10-15 times :)

Gabor