[development] how to upgrade from 5.x to 6.x

Karen Stevenson karen at elderweb.com
Fri Jan 18 14:26:57 UTC 2008

The D6 code now updates all enabled *and* disabled modules that exist in the modules folder, all at the same time. Also, there is now a 'last_updated' hook that allows modules to omit older updates from the .install file.

There are several implications of all this:

1) Telling people to disable the modules before updating is pointless, they will be updated either way.

2) Both the system and contrib updates will all run the first time you visit update.php. That means you should only put in the modules folder modules you want updated. If there are any questions about any of them, disabling them to keep them from updating will not work, you must remove them or uninstall them.

3) If you have modules that are not current (either core or contrib), you will see a message that you have an outdated module and it will not update, which will require you to start over, get them all updated in D5, and then move to D6. So the preferred way of doing this would more likely be to make sure all your code is current in D5 *before* you attempt to upgrade.

Also, you should check on contrib modules to see if there are any special instructions for the update. Now that disabled modules are updated and old updates may be gone, contrib modules may have suggestions of things you should do before you upgrade (like CCK which will ask you to get current on D5 before you upgrade to D6).

Karen