[development] So why we do support postgresql?

Rafael Martinez r.m.guerrero at usit.uio.no
Sun Jan 20 10:02:25 UTC 2008

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>> 'The minority' is something I am hearing all the time. Do we have
>> numbers that can give us any statistics about the amount of systems
>> using drupal and postgresql? Because I suspect that they are not as few
>> as some would like them to be.
>>

> This is what we have. You can see it is quite a minority.
>
> http://groups.drupal.org/node/6164
>
> Even if the above data was not available, and PostgreSQL is a majority, it
> it is still a moot point.
>
> Every year, we have a new maintainer, then he disappears. I don't think we
> even have one at present.
>
> The fact that it is a challenge to get people to test and push PostgreSQL
> patches
> through the patch queue is the big hindrance.

Well, if we could say that the data in this page "What DB drives your
Drupal?" is representative, a 11% of the users is a minority, but we are
talking about around 66.000 (11% of 600.000 downloads) websites if the
data in http://buytaert.net/tag/statistics is also representative.

You don't know neither what kind of users are these 60.000. Are they
running large, corporate or intratet sites or small local websites at
home? I have the feeling that we are not talking about small systems here.

My point is that I think that stopping supporting postgresql is a bad,
bad idea and it would get many supporters/users upset.

You already have a database abstraction layer. The only problem here is
the different SQL statements send to the database. More use of standard
SQL insteed of MySQL specific statements will help to minimize the
differents between the two databases regarding the code. We could even
use other ways of interacting with the database, like stored procedures,
but this is another discussion.

I am also sure that many postgresql DBAs will help with this issue if it
gets easier to do this. For example, I do not have time to learn the
internals of Drupal's code (I am a DBA), but it will be a pleasure to
help if I could get a list with all SQL statements send to the database
and a test-case database with test data. It would take us very little
time to find out and fix specific MySQL SQL statements that will have
problems running on postgresql.

My 5 cents ..... Let's make a great product like Drupal even better
insteed of destroying his good reputation.

regards
--
  Rafael Martinez, <r.m.guerrero at usit.uio.no>
  University of Oslo, Norway