[development] Can cash for views/cck help speed Drupal 6 adoption?

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Fri Jan 25 15:18:48 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 11:32 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:
> Steve Dondley schrieb:
> > I'd like to get some feedback. Allow me to throw some statements
> > out there and tell me if they are accurate:
> >
> > 1) CCK and Views modules conversion to Drupal 6 is far behind.
>
> I've installed CCK on the D6 RC, found a bug which Yves fixed and it
> appears to be working fine.

Agreed.  I'm running it on a site.  Works fine for me so far.  I'm
sure there are bugs, but it's not unusable.

> I am not up to date on views, but I think progress is being made.

AFAIK this is also correct that progress is being made.

> > 2) Many people will not even think about moving to Drupal 6 until
> > these modules are upgraded to work with Drupal 6.
> > 3) Therefore, Drupal 6 adoption rate will be slow.
>
> > If 3 is true, a worrisome development, I make the following arguments
> > (again, tell me if it's wrong):
>
> Considering that 1) is at least partially false, I think I don't need to
> continue. :)

I debated about replying earlier and saying the opposite: pooling
resources (and possibly creating bounties) will likely help speed
things up.  I think providing testing, UI advice (views is at this
stage now), and code (both) is more valuable than money in this case.
There have been please for help - interested people should visit the
issue queues of the respective projects to see where they can help.

If people would rather throw money at the problem than resources, I
guess someone should follow up who is interested and long on time and
short on money to help fulfill that need ;)

Regards,
Greg

--
Greg Knaddison