[development] Can cash for views/cck help speed Drupal 6 adoption?

Ronald Ashri ronald at istos.it
Fri Jan 25 15:51:10 UTC 2008

I think the issue is a bit more complicated than just offering money
(which might help but is not the entire solution). The main problem
is that the best people to help with Views 2 right now, which is the
phase of basic development and where a good understanding of views is
required, are people already very experienced with Views 1, which
probably means that they are already involved with Views 2.

I am trying to understand the code and help but realise that even
developers have little time to explain to newcomers what is going on
- so there is a weird relationship where a useful but complex module
like Views has many people depending on it and wanting to help but it
is hard to do so because it is hard to be effective at the early
stages of development. No point me installing Views 2 now, finding a
bug, not really understanding what exactly is going on and wasting
the developers time by reporting it when the whole codebase is in
flux. Best to just let them reach a semi-stable release that can
benefit from debugging, documentation, etc (which is what newbies
could be most useful at).

Perhaps the most effective thing right now would be to make it as
easy as possible for merlinofchaos and the other Views experts to
focus on Views 2 by relieving them of other more easy and less
demanding tasks - but for a geographically distributed group of
people with different organizational commitments that is not easy
either.

I hope that once a more stable version comes out I will be able to
help by going through the code and commenting things and producing
appropriate documentation and making it easier for more people to get
involved with Views 3 at the early stages.

In the meantime if anyone does have a good idea of how I could be
useful -  I have a few hours a day I could dedicate to Views 2 or CCK
so just let me know - while I can code quite well my first Drupal
installation was 7 weeks ago ( www.lovesicily.com ) and while the Pro
Drupal Development book is already wearing thin I guess I am not a
Drupal expert yet.

Best,

Ronald