[development] update node_example.module to use schema api

andrew morton drewish at katherinehouse.com
Thu Jul 10 16:48:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Jon Saints <saintsjd at gmail.com> wrote:
> I notice that the file node_example.module on
> http://api.drupal.org/api/file/developer/examples/node_example.module
> has not been upgraded to show how to use the schema api.
>
> I am interested in updating this page, which has been so helpful to
> me, to include a hook_schema implementation and some
> drupal_write_record calls.

I did the initial update just to figure out how the schema stuff works
and at that point I don't think drupal_write_record() had been
committed. Help with the documentation is always welcome so feel free
to dig in.

> How and where is this documentation stored? What is the best way for
> me to make my proposed changes so they can be reviewed by the
> community and maintainer?

The documentation is stored in the contrib CVS repository. You can
browse it via the web here:
  http://cvs.drupal.org/viewvc.py/drupal/contributions/docs/developer/
To check it out code you can follow the directions here:
  http://drupal.org/node/321
If you've got a Drupal CVS account you can make any changes you'd
like... but the preferred workflow (that I'm totally guilty of not
following) is to create an issue discussing the changes you like to
make in the documentation issue queue:
  http://drupal.org/project/issues/documentation
Post a patch of your changes so any interested parties can review
it... give it a day or two and if there's no response and you're
confident in your changes you can go ahead and commit them. Make note
of the issue number in your commit message so that if a few months
down the line someone's trying to figure out what your were thinking
with your changes they've got a place to go read more and leave
comments.

Now if only I could figure out where to stick this write in the
drupal.org handbooks....

andrew