[development] HTML emails

Allie Micka allie at pajunas.com
Wed Jul 16 18:24:02 UTC 2008

On Jul 16, 2008, at 5:32 AM, Matt Connolly wrote:

> At the moment, I'm manually re-theming the other modules to not
> create "<html><head>" stuff to play nice with mimemail.

If there's a generalizeable way to do this, I'd be a huge fan of its
implementation.  Please see http://drupal.org/node/
121849#comment-915935 for a description of how messages are themed and
how to override them.  The goal here was to have something that looks
consistent without creating a giant themeing task for admins and
users; and without any knowledge or assumptions of how a site is themed.

By default, Mime Mail includes copies of your CSS information inside
of your message's <head> section.  In many cases this looks pretty
great, but it can lead to some darn large messages.  Also, as
indicated here, several mail clients don't read the CSS information in
the head section.  Mostly, this just means gmail and hotmail - see http://www.campaignmonitor.com/css/

It would be super-awesome if someone could help this module - for
everyone - by a) attempting to reduce the overall size of included CSS
content and b) attempt to migrate some element and style definitions
into the body of the message to combat the "gmail problem"

Thanks,

Allie Micka
Advantage Labs, Inc.