[development] FAQ: Why is Drupal still using CVS when X is a much better choice?

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Thu Jul 31 08:03:21 UTC 2008

(This discussion is more relevant in this thread -- the other thread
was really just about a document someone wrote describing how to use
git and CVS together...)

On Jul 30, 2008, at 8:09 PM, Sam Boyer wrote:
> I've taken over Version Control API from Jakob. I hope to start
> work with it shortly before Szeged.

This is indeed good news (and news to me).

Note to others who care about this topic: this isn't really a 1-
person job.  So, don't let Sam's offer stop you from also stepping
forward to volunteer. ;)

Also, what Adam wrote is still incredibly relevant for the drupal.org
implications of versioncontrol API and friends:

A) How do "we" decide which RCS to move to, assuming everything else
is in place?

B) Who's the "we" who makes this decision?

Further, I'd add the following for everyone to chew over:

C) Do we move everything at once, or do we just move core to the new
thing, and leave contrib with CVS as an interim measure to prevent
large-scale, simultaneous catastrophe on all sides? ;)

D) Do we leave open the possibility that each project on d.o can
choose if it wants CVS or XXX?  Do we provide multiple alternatives
(svn + git?).  I'm 95% sure that the original specs for
versioncontrol API and the intended interface with project* left this
as an option.  So, even if it's not technically possible now, it
should be by the time everything is all tied together.  The question
is do we even want to turn that on on d.o, or not.

If we can all be respectful and manage to prevent this from becoming
Yet Another Bikeshed Thread, the chances of any of this actually
coming into existence will be higher.  In fact, I'd recommend that no
one attempts to answer any of these questions for at least 24 hours
after reading this message.  Just let it soak in before you say what
you think.  (C) won't need to be answered for at least 3 months,
probably longer.  (A), (B) and (D) should be answered sooner, but not
immediately.

Cheers,
-Derek (dww)