[development] What to do with Drupal FTP?

Dave Cohen drupal at dave-cohen.com
Wed Jun 11 18:07:15 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Aaron Winborn wrote:
> Regarding Drupal FTP at http://drupal.org/project/drupal_ftp

[snip]

> ... The project itself came partly out of
> the poor file handling that Drupal has had in the past (but will
> hopefully be fixed with http://drupal.org/node/142995 hint hint...)

[snip]

I'm all in favor of improving Drupal's core file handling.  But also when
discussions like this come up, I mention http://drupal.org/project/upapi
(Upload API contrib module).  If I could rally the troops around this module
it could become a great thing.

One thing this module does is invoke hooks to let other modules know when new
files have been uploaded and act on them.  I can imagine an add-on that
detects FTPed files, and inserts them into the upapi system (which currently
only supports uploads via forms).

> Should I entirely remove the project? Officially abandon it? Amend or
> replace the project page with a warning, in case people are actually
> using it? Ask for a security team audit if we decide to keep it?

I'd maintain it if you need it, hand it off if you don't.  But don't remove it
entirely.

-Dave