[development] What to do with Drupal FTP?

Darrel O'Pry darrel.opry at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 23:27:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Dave Cohen <drupal at dave-cohen.com> wrote:

> I'm all in favor of improving Drupal's core file handling.  But also when
> discussions like this come up, I mention http://drupal.org/project/upapi
> (Upload API contrib module).  If I could rally the troops around this
> module
> it could become a great thing.
>
> One thing this module does is invoke hooks to let other modules know when
> new
> files have been uploaded and act on them.  I can imagine an add-on that
> detects FTPed files, and inserts them into the upapi system (which
> currently
> only supports uploads via forms)

Dave, why rally troops around a contrib module instead of a core patch?  The
UpAPI module is awesome work and implements some really cool stuff, but is
irrelevant to the discussion of Drupal FTP and it's merit.

I think having ftp client implementations aren't really the greatest thing,
especially when PHP's native stream wrappers include FTP and SFTP/SSH. There
is a patch floating around for stream wrapper support in core
http://drupal.org/node/227232 which would deprecate most of these types of
file clients.

I think modules like drupal_ftp and media_mover are excellent use cases for
stream wrapper support in core.

If it were me I'd list it as officially abandoned if you don't need it and
let people know it's looking for a maintainer if anyone requires it.

.darrel.