[development] releases, recommended/supported changing automatically on release creation...

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Mon Mar 10 16:21:29 UTC 2008

Jakob Petsovits wrote:

> So the release system expects all releases of a major release (2.x) to be
> similarly stable and recommended, which is wrong in this case (and others as
> well, probably - including Views, which also does betas and release
> candidates for point releases).

Yes, technically this is wrong from what dww intended to set up.

However, the decision not to allow modules a Z number in the release
system (x.y.Z) left us in the annoying position that the major number
can ramp up *very* quickly...which means *branch maintenance* can ramp
up *very* quickly.

I wanted Views 2 to actually be 2; had I done this by the rules, Views 2
would actually be Views 6 or something, and that fails to fit my vision.