[development] releases, recommended/supported changing automatically on release creation...

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Mon Mar 10 11:54:55 UTC 2008

On Sunday, 9. March 2008, Darrel O'Pry wrote:
> So today I'm humming a long and create a new RC for imagefield 2.3.. I
> supported version listed there... Totally not cool! How many people are
> going to that when they should be using the 2.2 release, thanks to
> update_status.module. I think it is really bad to automatically change
> these flags on maintainers. I think it should be left to the maintainer
> to decide when a release is recommended or supported.

I think the issue here is different views on what a "release" should be.

The release system regards point releases (2.2, 2.3) as harmless, bugfix-only
releases, while you're using them for introducing major new features like
icon set support, new extension modules, or stuff.

So the release system expects all releases of a major release (2.x) to be
similarly stable and recommended, which is wrong in this case (and others as
well, probably - including Views, which also does betas and release
candidates for point releases).

Obvious quickfix: Don't display any "[\d].[\d]-anything" releases as stable,
but add them to the list of development releases and keep the last
"[\d].[\d]" release as stable one.

Hoping not to miss some detail,
  Jakob