[development] releases, recommended/supported changing automatically on release creation...

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Fri Mar 14 03:24:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:01:55 +0100, Heine Deelstra <hdeelstra at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>>> I believe we should make this a moderated list, ie each message needs
>>> be approved before sent. Basically, only announcements, no discussion.
>>
>> If the latter is agreeable, we can use simplenews instead of mailman
>> which would make a cronjob based maintenance script possible.
>
> I'm all for having an announce only mailinglist for CVS account holders.
> The security team
> could use this list to announce potentially far reaching changes to
> certain APIs.
>
> It being announce-only will prevent it turning into yet another
> PHP-for-dummies mailing
> list and messages getting ignored as a result.
>
> Heine

Count me as +1 as well.  That's a very targeted list of users that really should get certain announcements; presumably they'd be rare enough that making it mandatory for CVS account holders is not a huge issue.

Also, some mailing lists send out monthly "list rules" reminders.  If we had such a CVS-account-holder list, we could easily send out a monthly "CVS rules" email with pointers to the quickstart guide, where to go with problems, etc.  That way, Derek can (hopefully) get back to coding.  If some people need to be reminded repeatedly about it, let's do the smart thing and have a computer beat them over the head for us. :-)

--Larry Garfield