[development] module duplication in Drupal contrib

Ezra B. Gildesgame ezra at pingv.com
Wed Mar 19 22:11:07 UTC 2008

  Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> ...it took less to write code than understand what the module
> really did or compare it with modules with similar functionality.
> With smaller modules sometimes choosing
> takes more than writing.

And isn't taking the time to evaluate existing functionality
fundamental to participating effectively in an open source project?
I'd argue that someone who is universally unable to so is likely to
hinder more than help the community effort.

  For non-community use, such as for clients or other private
projects, developers might create a custom module rather than using
existing community code. These custom modules don't have much effect
on the community because they don't reach the contrib repository.

I don't support a policy that universally outlaws the creation of
contrib modules that provide already existing functionality. I think
some degree of overlap is to be expected and should be tolerated and
in some cases embraced by the community.

However, the act of contributing of a new project that provides
overlapping or duplicate functionality should be one that is made
deliberately, with an understanding by the contributor of why s/he is
doing so.

What is unhelpful to the community is contribution of  "yet another
module" that provides the same functionality as two or three other
individual modules without a good reason, or at least an explanation
on that module's project page.

I propose that if a project is potentially a duplicate of another
module, that an explanation of any differences and the reason for
creating a separate module be required in that module's project
description. This explanation does not necessarily have to be
officially accepted by the community to meet this requirement, but
project description pages that read, "Because I didn't check the
contrib repository" (for whatever reason) can be evaluated in part,
on that statement by the project's maintainer.

Best,

Ezra Gildesgame