[development] site provisioning/multisite management/database migration tools

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Mon Mar 24 20:13:46 UTC 2008

On 24 Mar 2008, at 9:21 PM, Moshe Weitzman wrote:
>  for moving content  around, it seems that 'deploy' is
> most promising.

Personally, from all the different approaches i've tried, I think that
codifying site
configuration (views / cck types / variables etc) is the cleanest
way to build something like this. Basically the same way that views
provides it's default views.

It's also the most work for module developers to set up initially. But
once that's done, these things
could be easily exported to a module that is very simple to keep
version controlled etc, and
all that's needed to change the settings/etc is to update the source
and delete the caches.

For instance, I have a patch for D5 (not updated to D6 yet) that
allows you to specify a global
$defaults array, which is used by the variable_get instead of the
programmatically defined default,
if nothing has been set.

This way, you just have a module you enable / update that has all your
site settings in it, and no
additional magic is required on the developer's part.