[development] Drupal as an API: where the value is ...

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 16:56:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I would phrase it differently; core is trending toward a more
> engine-centric
> > nature, with implementations built on top of it in contrib.

> I am in the camp that core should be more about APIs, than ready to use
> stuff. How
> these APIs are used should be left for contrib.

> Think about Views and CCK, and if they were in core: would they develop so
> quickly with core being only committed to by a few people?

I think I'm in agreement with Khalid.  I'd prefer to see Views and
CCK, and the like, live outside of core.  Instead, core should evolve
to support and enable most anything the Views and CCK developers might
dream up if it looks extensible to other ideas and modules, but not
actual provide the functionality.

I definitely agree with the thinking that Drupal is a web application
framework, and that is what makes it so powerful and popular.

..chris

--
Chris Johnson
http://tinpixel.com