[development] Drupal as an API: where the value is ...

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Mar 27 21:18:56 UTC 2008

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:26:02 -0400
Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it>:

> > So before stuff can be kicked out of core there should be such a
> > nice API that will make trivial to rebuild what's in core now and
> > may find a better place in contrib.

> Don't we have that with the installation profile[1]?  We use that
> to help modify the project module create distributions based on the
> profile so that the required and suggested modules can be rolled
> into the distribution.

I meant: before support for features currently into core, leave it
and move into contrib, the core API to support those features should
be so lovely that writing a "reference" implementation of the feature
should be trivial.

On the other side I think that stuff like Views and Panels should
have a place into core[1] but as an API and not as an implementation
of a feature.

They shouldn't move into core until they look more like an API rather
than an implementation otherwise as it has been said they risk to
slow down core and make it a mess.

[1] I don't think CCK should stay into core

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it