[development] Creating fields: custom vs. CCK

Steve Ringwood nevets at mailbag.com
Mon Mar 31 19:03:11 UTC 2008

First off I think you are comparing CCK to a custom module (.module).

I would start by looking at CCK and see if it will meet your needs.  If
it falls short there are some alternatives
to implementing a complete custom content type with a module.  If you
just need additional validation you can write a module that implement
hook_nodeapi and adds validation to a content type created with CCK.
Another approach I have used where I need more than custom validation is
to use a module to provide the skeleton for a new content type (title,
body plus and "special" fields I care about) and include any special
logic I might need and then use CCK to add additional fields as needed.