[development] How Trellon gave back to Drupal (April 2007)

Syscrusher syscrusher at 4th.com
Thu May 1 14:11:48 UTC 2008

On Thursday 01 May 2008 07:53:28 Morbus Iff wrote:
> We also did a small project with the webform.module, which allowed us to
> submit a healthy number of patches. A good amount were committed:

Hey, Morbus....

A year or so ago, I contributed a feature patch to webform.module that allows
the outbound emails to include (parametrically) the value of any other field
in their subject lines. This is very useful if you're sending the webform
emails to an automated response system. In our case, we are using Request
Tracker (RT) for trouble tickets, and the feature allows webform.module to
append to existing tickets or create new ones with nice behavior. In other
cases, you might use a procmail recipe or similar to auto-sort the webform
emails based on the value of a field that appears in the subject line. Or it
can just make the subject line more meaningful to a receiving human. :-)

In any case, the code has been in production on our corporate site for a couple
of years in Drupal 4.7 and 5.x. In the next month or so, I'll be porting it to
Drupal 6.x, but that's not done yet.

When I originally created the patch, I offered it as a contrib back into the
project issues queue, but nobody ever responded yes or no as to whether there
was interest.

Is this something that would be of interest if I contrib it again for Drupal 6,
or should I just consider this an "internal only" fork and keep it to myself?

Kind regards,

Scott