[development] RFC: drupal as a moving target

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu May 1 19:28:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:17:03 -0700
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd at commandprompt.com> wrote:

> I believe the solution to this problem is to look at mature open
> source projects and how they handle their development model.

Could it be a starting to have a release cycle where functions
in spite of disappearing are marked "deprecated" and disappear in a
later release?

I know this will make harder to support security patches but at least
it should not make the release work harder.

Maybe even marking functions as "volatile" as a sign there is a plan
to change them will give a chance to dev to mark places that may
change in the coming release and modify them easier.

I'd say that marking them as "volatile" even if it is just a clue of
what's planned and may not happen in a future release would be very
helpful.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it