[development] RFC: drupal as a moving target

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Thu May 1 19:50:49 UTC 2008

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:17:03 -0700
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd at commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe the solution to this problem is to look at mature open
>> source projects and how they handle their development model.
>
> Could it be a starting to have a release cycle where functions
> in spite of disappearing are marked "deprecated" and disappear in a
> later release?

I wish people would quit suggesting this, as though backward
compatibility in Drupal is eschewed out of whim or, worse, malicious
intent. API is not about function signatures. If it were just that, this
whole backward compatibility thing would be easy.

API is about data. Where data is stored; where it can be found; how it
can be accessed, and how it is utilized. Most of the really big changes
from one Drupal version to another fundamentally change how some piece
of data is used. Just keeping old function names and signatures will not
improve backward compatibility significantly.

This is particularly true in Drupal with its system of hooks. The hooks
change; in order to have 'backward compatibility' we'd have to call old
hooks as well as new hooks. That's a performance nightmare. It also
creates crufty, inefficient code.