[development] where to now with the registry?

justin randell justin.randell at gmail.com
Wed May 7 23:20:23 UTC 2008

hi all,

now that the registry has landed, i'd like to call for feedback about
where to from here.

there are two interrelated questions in my mind:

1. can we improve on the caching we put in front of the registry data?
at the moment we cache files that should be included per menu path[1]
and module hook implementations[2]. what else could be cached? litwol
raised the idea on #drupal of caching theme calls. other ideas?

2. how could/should we change drupal to take advantage of the registry
data? what can we do to make bootstrap lighter to make drupal faster?
can we use the registry to simplify even further drupal's module code?

to give a crude example of 'making bootstrap lighter', its now
possible to remove module_load_all from _drupal_bootstrap_full, and
make drupal run with a sprinkling of extra drupal_function_exists
calls[3]. but this is crude, and there are bound to be better ways.

what else?

cheers
justin

[1] http://api.drupal.org/api/function/registry_cache_path_files/7