[development] Compiling Drupal statistics

Walt Daniels wdlists at optonline.net
Sun May 18 15:16:32 UTC 2008

The number of active installations is going to be really hard to get right,
at least if others behave as I do. I have 14 installs that are probably in
your count but only 7 of them are real sites with outside users. The others
are all test or build sites. They aren't even visible enough to attract
spammers. But perhaps I only get a count of one, because I have a copy of
5.7 that I ftp to a site to get it started. I don't get a new copy for each
site.

Perhaps there could be some module that is installed as part of core that
makes something visible enough to Google that you can use a count of it to
count active installs. Then ask people who install test accounts to turn off
that module. Put a message in the Status report that forces admins to at
least visit a page and given the opportunity to get it right.