[development] Slow down with the official releases of contrib already, ok? ; )

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Wed May 28 04:54:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 7:37 AM, David Rothstein <dmr37 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 1:24 am, Heine Deelstra wrote:
>>> [snip]  For example, in Drupal core,
>>> 6.x-dev is currently stable and there is nothing particularly wrong with
>>> using it on a production site, but 7.x-dev is definitely not stable.
>>
>> This is not correct.
>>
>> Drupal 6.x-dev cannot be supported and may break your site. Example issue
>> (5.x-dev):
>> http://drupal.org/node/127936
>>
>> Transient security issues in Drupal y.x-dev will also not get security
>> announcements.
>
> Interesting, thank you for clarifying this.  Note, however, that running a
> dev version of core is recommended by some (usually-)reliable sources and
> is done (or at least appears to be done) by several prominent websites...
> check the CHANGELOG.txt of some of your favorite Drupal sites ;)
> Obviously, it can never be "officially" recommended or supported, but site
> admins who know their way around Drupal seem to be doing it - so if it's
> really a problem even in these cases, then perhaps more education on this
> point would be beneficial.
>
> --David Rothstein

Using core -dev of a finished version amounts to whether it is your
lucky day or not. Say, it breaks your site once a week, if you can
accept the odds.

I learned that last year, when I used a 5.x-dev version on an unlucky
day. But it was bound to happen sooner or later, because I was
"updating" that site "regularly".

Of course with 7.x the odds are that it will break somehow the first time.