[development] Slow down with the official releases of contribalready, ok? ; )

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed May 28 15:14:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, 28 May 2008 00:37:41 -0400 (EDT), "David Rothstein" <dmr37 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 1:24 am, Heine Deelstra wrote:
>>> [snip]  For example, in Drupal core,
>>> 6.x-dev is currently stable and there is nothing particularly wrong
> with
>>> using it on a production site, but 7.x-dev is definitely not stable.
>>
>> This is not correct.
>>
>> Drupal 6.x-dev cannot be supported and may break your site. Example
> issue
>> (5.x-dev):
>> http://drupal.org/node/127936
>>
>> Transient security issues in Drupal y.x-dev will also not get security
>> announcements.
>
> Interesting, thank you for clarifying this.  Note, however, that running a
> dev version of core is recommended by some (usually-)reliable sources and
> is done (or at least appears to be done) by several prominent websites...
> check the CHANGELOG.txt of some of your favorite Drupal sites ;)
> Obviously, it can never be "officially" recommended or supported, but site
> admins who know their way around Drupal seem to be doing it - so if it's
> really a problem even in these cases, then perhaps more education on this
> point would be beneficial.
>
> --David Rothstein

Another catch with 6.x core specifically is that the dev versions run E_ALL|E_NOTICE, while the stable versions disable notices.  Since most modules are developed against a stable release, that means most modules will not be E_NOTICE-safe.  So running 6.x-dev is likely to get you notices thrown all over the place.

(I opposed disabling E_NOTICE warnings for D6 stable for exactly that reason, but was overruled.)

--Larry Garfield