[development] Slow down with the official releases of contrib already, ok? ; )

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Fri May 30 17:27:59 UTC 2008

On May 30, 2008, at 9:12 AM, Michelle Cox wrote:

> Maybe we should just encourage people to put a note on their pages
> saying how _they_ feel about the state of their dev snapshots so
> potential users can decide which they'd rather use?

Good suggestion. ;)  Both of the full DrupalCon talks I've given on
this topic [1] [2], and the handout I wrote [3], all repeat the idea
that one of the key ways to be a responsible maintainer is to clearly
communicate the status of your code and your plans/intentions for the
future.  There are already a variety of channels for this
communication.  I don't know what else to do to encourage people,
other than to keep repeating myself.

It's possible this isn't mentioned in enough of the handbooks to be
visible, so if an aspiring documentation team member wanted to help
this particular problem, they could pepper the appropriate handbook
pages with suggestions about clearly communicating status + intentions.

Thanks,
-Derek (dww)

[1] http://badcamp07.org/07/sessions/how-develop-and-maintain-your-
drupal-contribution