[development] Trust (was: Hit and run contrib)

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Sat May 31 15:29:22 UTC 2008

Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Friday, 30. May 2008, Daniel F. Kudwien wrote:

> On the other hand, just recently I noticed a missing break; statement
> somewhere in Views. Checked out with CVS. But it didn't directly concern me
> or pose any problems to what I was doing, and opening up a new issue would
> have taken more time and effort than I was willing to put in. Like, "someone
> will probably fix it anyways". With commit access, I would have committed the
> fix right away, and in the unlikely case that it's actually wrong (and a
> "// fall through" comment would be required instead) then Earl would have
> noticed and fixed it the right way. It's probably still unfixed, I guess.
>
> Let incompetent CVS users release their modules on their own server (they're
> probably no good for drupal.org either) and educate them to get into version
> control and patches before they're granted a CVS account. In turn, give trust
> to the people who actually have proven to be worthy of a CVS account.

Views is a large and complex system. It turns out that even very small
changes can have a very large impact that is not necessarily clear to
people who don't have a good feel for how the entire system is put together.

Given the incidence of patches that are Just Wrong that I get (at least
10%, mostly they're Just Wrong because they fix the symptom, not the
problem) from people who are perfectly confident that their fix is the
right one, I shudder to think about what could happen if just anyone
could commit to Views at this point.

Now, this never actually happened when just anyone COULD commit to
Views, luckily, but there's always been a stigma against committing to
people's projects without permission. Now it's just coded.

But you know what HAS happened? A lot?

People screwing up and being in the wrong directory when they commit and
adding their stuff to the root directory rather than their module. Or
not realizing they'd left in some change when they were hacking and
committed that.

No, if you think you're very smart and you've spotted a bug in Views and
you fix it without ever consulting anyone at all, what have you done to
make sure it's right? That's why we have a process of peer review.