[development] Trust

Liam McDermott liam at intermedia-online.com
Sat May 31 17:02:49 UTC 2008

Angela Byron wrote:
> Jakob Petsovits wrote:
>> Imho that's a quick-and-dirty workaround, whereas the proper solution
>> would involve letting the contributor commit the patch by herself.
>> That might either be reached by switching to a distributed VCS (where
>> "committer" and "uploader" are decoupled from each other - probably
>> the right solution for core) or by the even more open-sourcey way of
>> granting access to all of contrib by default.
>
> Here's a counter-showcase for you. :)
>
> That's how contrib used to be, back when I joined the project (June 2005).
>
> On my very first CVS commits to Quiz module (my SoC project), [...]
> I ended up somehow changing code in Voting module accidentally during
> my commits. Look! You can still see it in the list of commits on my user
> account page. ;) http://drupal.org/user/24967

Great example, sounds like something I'd do. Some more empirical
evidence: I quite often check code out of the wrong branch *of my own
modules* then get confused when several months of changes have
disappeared mysteriously. I have, on occasion, tried to commit to
modules like Views just because of being in the wrong working directory
(this coupled with the swearing that usually adorns my debug messages
would make a nice surprise for Earl). I'm making these mistakes using
GNU/Linux and a terminal: imagine the damage a newbie, wielding Tortoise
or Eclipse, could do.

I'm blonde, dippy and error prone. So please don't let give me commit
access to the whole contrib repo, I *will* break it.

However, the suggestion of a distributed system would work nicely. IMO
that's the road we need to go down *if* we want to be more open and stop
people, like me, breaking stuff. Don't know how many people view this as
a priority however. My projects aren't very interesting or popular, so a
distributed system wouldn't make much difference. I'm the only one
working on the code! Are most other projects like mine, or would they
benefit from a distributed RCS?

Better plug the RCS group on g.d.o (just in case anyone on the list
hasn't seen it): http://groups.drupal.org/revision-control-systems :)

Kind Regards,
Liam McDermott.