[development] Reviewing patches and making decisions

Nathaniel Catchpole catch56 at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 5 21:03:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Chris Johnson  wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Nathaniel Catchpole
>
> > Exactly, and we're talking about core patches. Most active contrib
> > development is happening in Drupal 6, I generally don't see many patches
> > posted for Drupal 4.7 versions of contrib modules, or even Drupal 5
> > depending on which module it is.
>

> We were?  (talking about core patches?)
>
> I don't see that in this thread.  We were talking about all patches,
> as far as I could tell.
>
> The arguments are indeed very different for core and contrib.
>
> Oh I see! Well I think the argument stands for contrib in a lot of cases,
except that the release cycles are so much shorter (usually) that the most
recent release is likely to be much closer to what you're actually using.
Since very, very few contrib modules have D7 compatible versions that issue
comes up a lot less, and in those cases, you'd probably want to forward-port
patches until at least Beta/RC stage for the associated core release. So
maybe we agree after all. Of course this all depends on the individual
module, and individual maintainer.

Nat