[development] Reviewing patches and making decisions -> Sociocracy could be a way to go!

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Fri Nov 7 05:28:13 UTC 2008

Funny that I was having just this discussion with my Dev team at work
today.  How shall we document how/why something works.   I think most
of the folks agreed that closer to the code is better. So comments is
the best answer but it's often difficult to document how disparate
modules connect in code comments.

Another resource that we have that's not used as much as it could be
is the API module and it's document generation techniques.  It
already documents much of the bigger picture with core modules.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but cannot developers maintain "extra"
technical documentation in a separate document along with their
modules in CVS?  That might be a good thing to version control, but
keep a static document, that feeds api documentation. I know this is
possible with other modules such as Doxygen, but am not sure that it
works in API module. (but I bet it could). This is the solution we
landed on in my dev shop.

That way rational/design info could(should?) be supplied with
patches.  In separate documentation and it would help those who do
patch review understand how/why something is supposed to work before
it gets committed.

You see that's the one problem with using CVS annotate.  The commiter
provides that message, but the patch submitter is the one who needs
to supply the documentation :).  And remember our goal here is to
make it easier for the review/commit phase, so adding doc work to the
commiter is counter productive.

So I like using CVS for why something changed, but not how something
is supposed to work.  That needs to be in code comments or lean text
base documentation that goes with the code.

But perhaps we near exhausting all that can be said on this issue.