[development] how to start a drupal like project

Anton anton.list at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 20:21:17 UTC 2008

2008/11/11 My Own Linux <myown.linux at gmail.com>:
> I want to write my own open source web application and make it as flexible
> and usable as drupal. I have no experience with a project this size. How do
> I go about it ? What do I need to do first and how do I plan the project ? I
> dont know where to start. I need to know the core technical side of project
> planning (not the hosting, cvs, etc..)

1. Scratch an itch you care about
2. Inspire other people to join in and help you out
3. Keep improving your codebase
4. Repeat the above steps for 5-10 years
5. ???
6. Profit

Seriously though, if you start out to write a project the size and
scope of Drupal with the same amount of flexibility by yourself in
your spare time you will never finish it. You need to make something
much smaller and simpler that is still useful, then build a community
around it to help you incrementally build it to something bigger over
time.

If you want to see how Drupal or other projects do stuff for
inspiration, just look at their code.

But you're far better off just joining an existing project.

--
Cheers
Anton