[development] how to start a drupal like project

Syscrusher syscrusher at 4th.com
Tue Nov 11 14:57:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 18:26 +0530, My Own Linux wrote:
> Firstly thanks to all those who replied. I would like to clear the
> point that what I am making is not a CMS. I just want to make a php
> based web app that is scalable like drupal and has support for themes,
> modules, etc.

Drupal is a lot more than just a CMS -- it's a pretty darned good web
application platform as well. My company uses an intranet web
application for many of our accounting and workflow needs. I wrote it as
a series of Drupal modules, so I didn't have to reinvent wheels for
themes, modules, authentication, user authorization, logging, menus,
input cleansing, localization.....etc. There is essentially no "content"
on this Drupal installation -- just the custom modules.

It sounds as if the things you don't want to reinvent are the things
Drupal already provides. The only thing better than reusing proven
design patterns is reusing proven *code.* :-)

You will write your best code if you are focused on the parts of the
application that are most interesting to you. Use off-the-shelf Open
Source code for the parts that are necessary but are not part of what
makes your application unique.

Kind regards,

Scott

--