[development] how to start a drupal like project

Niels van Mourik niels at madcap.nl
Tue Nov 11 15:46:56 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 15:57:00 Syscrusher wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 18:26 +0530, My Own Linux wrote:
> > Firstly thanks to all those who replied. I would like to clear the
> > point that what I am making is not a CMS. I just want to make a php
> > based web app that is scalable like drupal and has support for themes,
> > modules, etc.
>
> Drupal is a lot more than just a CMS -- it's a pretty darned good web
> application platform as well. My company uses an intranet web
> application for many of our accounting and workflow needs. I wrote it as
> a series of Drupal modules, so I didn't have to reinvent wheels for
> themes, modules, authentication, user authorization, logging, menus,
> input cleansing, localization.....etc. There is essentially no "content"
> on this Drupal installation -- just the custom modules.
>
> It sounds as if the things you don't want to reinvent are the things
> Drupal already provides. The only thing better than reusing proven
> design patterns is reusing proven *code.* :-)
>
> You will write your best code if you are focused on the parts of the
> application that are most interesting to you. Use off-the-shelf Open
> Source code for the parts that are necessary but are not part of what
> makes your application unique.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Scott

A good example for this is testing.drupal.org: http://testing.drupal.org/

All the website at essentially does is iterating all modules and making nice
charts out of it. The Drupal framework has been used to write the
'application' while all the 'CMS' features are disabled or not in use.

Therefore I've got to agree with Scott here, Drupal is a darn good application
framework and eases lots of things like input validation, themes, forms and so
on.

Niels

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Niels van Mourik

MADCAP
Schapedrift 89
3371 JJ Hardinxveld-Giessendam

Mob 06 159 632 70
Tel 088 99 088 99
Fax 088 99 088 98

pgp 63399E566EBB7C1C
fp  9802 027D 61E3 1E7C 803B 5ED6 6339 9E56 6EBB 7C1C

www.madcap.nl / open.madcap.nl

Save a tree...please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.