[development] Announcing DRUPAL-7-0-UNSTABLE-3

Arancaytar Ilyaran arancaytar.ilyaran at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 17:38:22 UTC 2008

Derek Wright wrote:
> Where's the issue nid for this change?  This seems like a regression to
> me (this means the requirement check for cron not running is now totally
> useless, since cron will always have run once, giving site admins a
> false sense that everything's ok).  However, I'd like to argue about
> this in the appropriate venue. ;)
>
> Thanks,
> -Derek (dww)

Lacking an issue link, I'll add my cents here...

1.) Yes, it's necessary to inform admins that they need to set up cron.
2.) It's also annoying to formulate this information as an error message. It's a
bit like showing a "This password is incorrect" message on a login form before
you enter anything.

Considering that the "cron has never run" case can /only/ happen just after
installation, perhaps there should be no drupal_set_message() warning at all,
just a step in the site setup process?

"1. Configure your website:
 Once logged in, visit the administration section, where you can customize and
configure all aspects of your website. {You need to set up a cron-job on your
server to perform regular database maintenance.}"

Something like that?

--
Arancaytar
XMPP:  arancaytar.ilyaran at gmail.com